We’re Still Here
In light of the recent closure of the East Bay Jewish Federation, we’ve gotten a few anxious calls lately from people checking to make sure that JFCS East Bay is still here. We are! The Federation closure does not affect our agency’s operations. So, we are here in our offices in Berkeley and Walnut Creek, and also “here” in homes, preschools, senior centers, partner agencies, and other places all over our East Bay community.
As an anchor institution in the East Bay since 1877, we are proud to uphold our long tradition of helping East Bay Jews in need, while honoring Jewish values as we serve our broader East Bay community. During these turbulent times, we believe our mission is more important than ever.
The East Bay can continue to call on us for so many things:
- Expert information, referrals, care consultation, and other support services for older adults and their caregivers.
- Special services and assistance for Holocaust survivors.
- Home care.
- Home-delivered meals for Shabbat and holidays.
- Mental health and parenting support services for young children and their families.
- Resettlement and ongoing support for refugees.
- High-quality legal services and deportation defense for immigrants.
And there’s more in the works, as we muster support to launch a Jewish Community Safety Net program that will help low-income people live with stability and dignity in our increasingly expensive community.
JFCS East Bay has been at the heart of our community for 142 years and—as the only Jewish family service agency in the East Bay—we are still going strong. We are proud to be a vehicle for putting your values into action, and we are proud to serve as a voice for the East Bay Jewish community, expressing our ongoing commitment to caring for the vulnerable and welcoming the stranger.