JFCS/East Bay is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Rooted in Jewish values and historical experiences, and enriched by the humanitarian values of the diverse communities we serve, JFCS/East Bay is dedicated to strengthening the fabric of the East Bay with essential mental health and social services. JFCS/East Bay is an innovative social service agency that has served individuals and families throughout Alameda and Contra Costa counties since 1877. We are proud to provide multilingual services to older adults and their families, Holocaust survivors, children and their parents, refugees and immigrants, people with disabilities, and an array of adults and children who come to us for high-quality affordable mental health services.
Our staff of more than 60 employees is characterized by its dedication, teamwork, warmth, humor, and high professional standards. Agency offices are located in downtown Berkeley (five blocks from BART) and Walnut Creek, with a satellite location in uptown Oakland.
JFCS/East Bay actively seeks to hire qualified professionals who reflect the cultural and linguistic diversity of the East Bay and of our clients.
The Controller manages internal controls and the accounting operations and staff on a day-to-day basis for this $5-million organization. This includes budgeting, auditing, general accounting, financial reporting, internal policies and procedures, and the development, implementation, and maintenance of financial systems. The Controller will play a key role in supporting the Senior Director of Finance & Administration in her efforts to provide timely and accurate analysis and decision-making tools to the leadership team. This is a full-time position located in our downtown Berkeley office. Anticipated start date of September 15, 2015.
The Controller reports to the Senior Director of Finance & Administration, who is responsible for creating and sustaining organizational systems, financial operations, and infrastructure in order to continually improve the agency’s ability to fulfill its mission. The Controller will supervise accounting staff and portions of work done by staff in operations and billing roles.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
1. Financial Analysis & Monitoring. Develop and maintain tools for financial analysis. Keep Senior Director of Finance & Administration apprised of existing or developing financial and/or cash flow issues.
2. Accounts Payable – Disbursements. Approve payments, prepare and input AP.
3. Accounts Receivable. Develop receivables policy to keep days receivables to a minimum. Manage preparation of all invoices/billings. Prepare complex billings/invoices. Review and approve invoices in general ledger. Oversee systematic implementation of receivables collection procedures.
4. Audit and Auditor Relations. Schedule fieldwork, coordinate and manage all audit activities, and review selected schedules and journal entries before they are provided to the auditor. Remain current on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
5. Cash Receipts. Manage all coding, deposits, data entry, and posting in GL.
6. Contract Budgets, Contract Accounting. Oversee contract reporting including contract applications/renewals, invoicing, monitoring, and reporting. Oversee contract accounting and communicate contract status to the Senior Director of Finance & Administration.
7. Budgeting and Budget Maintenance. Coordinate preparation of the annual budget. Prepare, review, and modify as necessary cost allocation methods and ensure their implementation. Oversee the entry of the budget into the accounting system.
8. Key Metrics. Develop key metrics for monitoring as directed by the Senior Director of Finance & Administration.
9. Financial Reporting. Review and analyze monthly Statement of Revenue and Expense and Balance Sheet to identify miscoding, inaccurate data entry, and reasons for variance from budget. After corrections of miscoding and/or inaccuracies, review, analyze, and provide the Senior Director of Finance & Administration with an analysis of position, performance, and key metrics.
10. Supervision. Supervise all accounting staff and portions of work done by staff in operations and billing roles.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Demonstrate strong passion for JFCS/East Bay’s mission and strong alignment with JFCS/East Bay’s core values.
- Thrive in an environment of change.
- Be open-minded, customer-focused, and solutions-driven.
- Demonstrate cultural competence for working with people of various nationalities, ethnicities, and religious affiliations, and the ability to translate that competence into vibrant, respectful internal control and financial policies and practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop others by delegating responsibility to subordinates and coaching them to develop the capabilities needed through formal and informal methods.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage change by providing support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness; initiating, supporting, and implementing changes to systems; and helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze problems, formulate analytical tools, research and collect data, weigh relevance and accuracy of data, develop and evaluate proposed solutions, and prepare presentation of process and proposals for decision-makers.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage the performance of subordinates by setting outcome expectations and planning work, continually monitoring outcome performance and providing feedback, developing their capacity to meet outcome goals, periodically rating performance, documenting and responding to poor performance, and rewarding good performance.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in a complex accounting environment with at least five of those in a nonprofit organization with restricted funding.
- At least five years of day-to-day responsibility for the accounting department.
- At least five years of supervisory experience.
Compensation is competitive for the Bay Area. Benefits include medical, dental, 401(k), generous holiday and vacation, great colleagues, and a friendly, respectful work environment.
Please submit a resume along with a cover letter describing what unique skills, experiences, and aspirations you would bring to this position to email@example.com with “Controller” in the subject line of your email. Only complete applications, with resume and cover letter, will be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Rooted in Jewish values and historical experiences, and enriched by the humanitarian values of the diverse communities we serve, JFCS/East Bay is dedicated to strengthening the fabric of the East Bay with essential mental health and social services.
The Development Assistant performs a variety of skilled tasks directly related to development and marketing activities. These include assisting the Senior Director of Development & Marketing with contact and communications with major donors. Other duties include working in partnership with the Director of Grants & Communications to strengthen our website and expand social media activities and campaigns. This is a full-time position (flexible).
The Development Assistant reports to the Senior Director of Development & Marketing and works closely with the Director of Grants & Communications to create and push out social media campaigns and activities to help increase donors, volunteers, and followers and help nurture their connections to the agency.
The Development Assistant also functions as part of the Development & Marketing team, which includes the Senior Director of Development & Marketing, the Director of Grants & Communications, the Development Associate, and the Volunteer Coordinator.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
Major Donor Communications: The Development Assistant plays a critical role in helping to manage the pipeline of major donors who need stewardship by the Executive Director and Senior Director of Development & Marketing. This includes managing a calendar of appointments with current and prospective donors and helping to implement a Moves Management system and evolving “One Ask” strategy for the agency’s top 30 to 50 donors.
The Development Associate will use Donor Perfect and Donor Search to generate strategies and reports for the Moves Management and One Ask programs, prospect research and donor analytics.
Website and Social Media Writing: The Development Assistant will work in partnership with the Director of Grants & Communications on website writing and editing and in the development of social media campaigns using Facebook, Twitter, and other web-based tools to grow our audience of donors and amplify the ongoing rebranding of JFCS/East Bay.
Other Functions and Responsibilities: The Development Associate may perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Development & Marketing.
- Experience in working with major donors
- Experience in the nonprofit sector
- Experience with a donor database platform such as Donor Perfect or Raiser’s Edge
- Excellent time and calendar management skills
- Experience in creating social media campaigns and strategies
- Proficiency in social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Experience in writing for the web
- Excellent verbal, written, and telephone communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Detail-oriented with good organization skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- A Bachelor of Arts or comparable college degree
- Flexibility and sense of humor a plus!
This position requires having the ability to sit comfortably at a keyboard for extended periods of time. Candidates must also be able and willing to help with set-up and clean-up for events and meetings, with the ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
Compensation is competitive, depending on experience. Great colleagues and a friendly work environment.
Interested and qualified applicants, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jewish Family & Children’s Services of the East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer