Holiday Giving Program
Every December, JFCS East Bay’s Holiday Giving Program collects gift cards donated by our community and provides them to refugee and low-income families throughout Alameda and Contra Costa counties. Gift cards empower recipients to purchase the gifts or necessities they know they need, and can choose for their children.
Each year, approximately 200 families and individuals receive gift cards. We pair the cards with either a plush toy for each child or a box of chocolate or candy for adults. Donors can be individuals, families, synagogue groups, scout troops, classrooms, company employees, groups of families, chavurah, and so forth. Working together with your community to raise funds for gift cards and/or soliciting donations of gift cards is a wonderful way to participate in this program.
Here are examples of the East Bay families and individuals served through this program:
- Newcomer refugee families from Afghanistan, now arriving in numbers never before seen.
- Immigrants and asylum seekers from Central America.
- Families and people of color with young children, who already face inequities and are now being directly impacted by these tough economic times.
- LGBTQ refugees and asylees, many from Africa and Latin America, who fled their countries because of persecution.
There are four ways to participate:
- Purchase Target cards or Walmart cards online and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Purchase gift cards and mail to our office: JFCS East Bay, attn: Ami Dodson, 2151 Salvio St., Suite 350, Concord, CA 94520.
- Purchase gift cards and deliver in person: email Ami at email@example.com to make safe, in-person delivery arrangements.
- Purchase gift cards or other items from our Wish List. These are delivered directly to our office in Concord. This list is updated daily so it always reflects our clients’ most urgent needs.
Best cards to provide: Target, Walmart, Safeway, Food Maxx, Trader Joe’s, Amazon, Uber, Visa. Denominations of $50 to $200 are most appreciated.
The deadline for us to receive your donation is Friday, December 10.
We can provide receipts for your tax-deductible donation! Please contact Wendy Greenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a receipt.
Thank you for supporting your community this holiday season!