JFCS East Bay is seeking housing hosts for newly arrived refugee clients in Contra Costa or Alameda Counties. Opening a home can provide security and comfort to someone fleeing an area that is not safe to live in anymore due to war, discriminatory laws or civil unrest. We strive to find a place that our clients can regroup in, and develop stable, long-term plans for higher education or a career and future permanent housing.
Clients will be single adults over 18, or a couple. Some couples are a single parent with a child.
The hosted housing is ideally close to public transportation or walkable to downtown and/or retail areas. Since most of our clients are low-income, or students, we are looking for below-market rate rooms. Our clients are generally able to pay between $250-500 per month. To provide stability, we are requesting a time commitment of at least 3-6 months to start.
As a host you will learn about different cultures and life experiences from other parts of the globe and develop new friendships and companionship that could last a lifetime.
- Provide a private bedroom and bathroom, either in the home or an in-law unit
- Share facilities such as kitchen and laundry, and small storage area, i.e for bicycles
- Receive $250 – $500 a month (including utilities) based on client’s income
- Commit to 3-6 months, with evaluation to continue at 90 days
- Access to wifi
- Access to parking, if client has a car
NOTE: A housing host is NOT a sponsor and is not responsible for resettlement duties that sponsors would take on.
Clients will commit to:
- Providing their own groceries
- Any house rules, i.e. not wearing shoes inside…
- Respecting the space by staying clean and tidy
- No smoking
- No overnight guests
If you are interested in being a Housing Host, please make sure to note this General Interest in your Better Impact volunteer account. Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.