Some of the seniors served by our Aging Services program are identified by our staff as being especially isolated or having a particular need for volunteer support.
We match these seniors with a volunteer who can provide weekly home visits and build a friendship with the client. We particularly look to make matches in which the volunteer and client have shared interests, such as art, swimming, or a foreign language.
JFCS East Bay volunteers working with seniors offer a range of support, including:
- Visiting with an elderly person in their home to provide companionship.
- Doing activities together such as playing games or cards, watching movies, or reading.
- Assisting with a house project, such as organizing family photos, doing light gardening, and helping around the house.
- Driving to appointments, either on a regular basis or as needed.
- Taking a client shopping or running errands.
- Going on walks or other light exercise.